Friday, January 25, 2019

THE LONE SHOVELER©


THE LONE SHOVELER©

By Linda Lee Greene, January 25, 2019




It was one of the big snowstorms of the 1990s in Columbus, Ohio USA. My apartment was on the first floor of the duplex I owned on Mithoff Street. I rented out the apartment above me. It was a day much like the days we have had here in Columbus over the past week: the ground and rooftops and tree limbs blanketed with pristine snow, and the sky a matching white and low-slung, an eerie closeness that seemed almost touchable and gave the impression that there was nothing beyond it, that the whole of the cosmos had been wiped clean of stars and planets and moons. As I usually do, I wakened very early that Saturday morning, and with my 35mm camera in hand, snapped a few photos from my little front porch. The silence was palpable, all but the scraping of a snow shovel up the street from me. And there he was: the lone shoveler, the focus of my shot.



Because I was yet to embrace my calling as a writer (that happened on August 10, 2000), I failed to recognize the possibilities in the incident for a story. Now I see in it the catchy title of a novel: THE LONE SHOVELER©. It might center on a torrid love affair that begins on a snow-covered city street when a woman approaches a man and inquires if he is for hire to shovel her sidewalk.



What storyline comes to your mind in this situation? Do you see in it a love story, or something else?






Columbus, Oho, USA, and multi-award-winning author, Linda Lee Greene has authored and published four books. All of them are available worldwide in eBook and soft cover at online booksellers. Her latest novel, CRADLE OF THE SERPENT (goo.gl/i3UkAV)  was designated as a finalist in the 2018 American Fiction Awards Competition. It was also awarded a 5 Star Review by Readers’ Favorites. In addition, she was the winner of the 2018 Peter Hills Memorial Writing Competition. Scheduled for release in early 2019 is her novel, A CHANCE AT THE MOON. It will be available in soft cover and eBook at Amazon.com and other online booksellers. An extensive exhibition of Greene’s artwork can be viewed at www.gallery-llgreene.com

No comments:

Post a Comment