Saturday, January 5, 2019

TEDDY THE SQUIRREL AND THE OAK TREE©


TEDDY THE SQUIRREL AND THE OAK TREE©



By Linda Lee Greene, January 5, 2019



Teddy the Squirrel, whom I introduced to you in a blog posting over the Thanksgiving holiday, is mad at me. If you wish to read my origination story about Teddy the Squirrel, click here> (https://ingoodcompanyohio.blogspot.com/2018/11/an-air-of-gratitude-thanksgiving-2018.html?spref=tw). I swear that Teddy actually spat at me from his perch on the postern of my gate when I ventured out this morning to run my errands. It is pretty easy to figure out that the source of his ire is that I was the instigator of the slaughter of his favorite tree, which I believed at the time to be a menace to the roof and windows of my condo. I have since begun to question the wisdom of my actions. For the backstory of the saga of my tree, clink this link> (https://ingoodcompanyohio.blogspot.com/2019/01/my-conundrum-over-tree-by-linda-lee.html?spref=tw)

My tree was an oak, by the way. I have determined its genus based on the shape of a few remaining brown leaves on the ground. I am ashamed to admit that my ill feelings toward it prevented me from going as far as even acknowledging its identity before now. And is it any wonder that Teddy is mad at me? Now he will have to go shopping for his acorns far beyond his neighborhood, thanks to me. I am sure he yearns to move to a more convenient locality, and to get away from me, but he is an old and nearly feeble fellow, and moving might be harder on him than he could withstand.

One of my “go to” books when life throws me a major curve and I need help getting back on track is psychoanalyst and author Judith Viorst’s “NECESSARY LOSSES, The Loves, Illusions, Dependencies, and Impossible Expectations That All of Us Have to Give Up in Order to Grow.” At the time she wrote the book, the bedroom she and her husband shared sat within the top floor of their multi-storied house. A wide span of windows in the room overlooked a small woodland. She enjoyed lying in bed and watching the squirrels beyond her windows scamper about in the canopy of trees. Her theme of the squirrels/trees reference in the book was to point out to her readers that unlike many human beings, squirrels have no illusions about who they are and what is right for themselves. At least in her and my corner of the world, squirrels are creatures suited to living in trees and earning their living by harvesting the bounty of those trees. Take them out of that environment and their form of work, and they would wither and die.

Spiritual teacher Eckhart Tolle in his book “STILLNESS SPEAKS” tells us that the essence of our Being is to be found in stillness and peace rather than in squirrel-like industry. I have scoured my neighborhood and have identified other oak trees in which Teddy might continue to express his squirrel nature. My wish is that he is up to finding them, for only then will my sense of peace be restored.



***




To date, Linda Lee Greene has authored five novels: “Jesus Gandhi Oma Mae Adams” (http://amzn.to/VazHFG); “Guardians and Other Angels” (http://goo.gl/imUwKO); “Rooster Tale” (http://goo.gl/vNq32g); and “Cradle of the Serpent” (http://amzn.to/VazHFG), which was designated as a finalist in the 2018 American Fiction Awards Competition. It was also awarded a 5 Star Review by Readers’ Favorites. Scheduled for release in early 2019, her latest novel titled “A Chance at the Moon” will be available in soft cover and eBook at Amazon.com. An extensive exhibition of Greene’s artwork can be viewed at www.gallery-llgreene.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment