Tuesday, April 11, 2023

THE TIME I GOT ONE OVER ON WHITEY FORD

 

From Linda Lee Greene Author/Artist

 

Nobody can ever say of me that I am a “globetrotter,” although I would like to be a habitual gadabout. In my younger days, before health issues took over and ever since then have dictated my whereabouts, I did a little international traveling. My last trip across the pond was an employer-sponsored, long-weekend in England. Take my advice and never go to England on a three-day pass, because the time will zoom by and you’ll be left with little more than a blur in your memory bank. Nowadays, unless I travel by way of a story in a book or an article in a magazine or trek along with Rick Steves on public television, it isn’t likely that I will ever again get to Europe or any place beyond the borders of the USA. “Maybe in my next life?!” I lament in my weaker moments—when my enthusiasm for my Elizabeth-Barrett-Browning-existence flags.

            In the meantime, you can bet that I keep a “Travel Bucket List” for my reincarnated life. Deep down I know the whole idea of a newly-embodied self is a bunch of hooey, but didn’t Dorothy make it to Oz on the wings of a tornado and Alice to Wonderland down a dark and creepy rabbit hole? A similar kind of out-of-body episode might be my only pathway to the trip of my dreams—to a week at a cooking school in Tuscany and another week hanging out at the Bay of Naples—at least two to three weeks to take in the history, art, and culture of Rome, Florence, Venice, and Milan, and then onto several days of hiking the Cinque Terre, chasing romance at the feet of Romeo and Juliet in Verona, and on and on? I figure I, or whomever I will be in that re-embodied entity, will have to carve out about three months for such an itinerary.

            “Dreams are made to sleep on,” someone must have said at one time or another, and the specific night around which this story centers, I crawled into bed and in no time my eyeballs rolled up into my head and my eyelids closed down on my fondest dream. In an instant I was transported to Northern Italy, at a raucous celebration comprised of thousands of townspeople dressed up in garb that must have dated back to the 12th or 13th centuries—men in knee-length or long tunics, some sporting chain mail and full-fledged suits of armor, the women in long tunics or gowns and linen veils draping their heads. I was soon to experience that the pointed-toed shoes that both sexes wore were lethal weapons. A man standing next to me explained that the festival was called the “Carnival of Ivrea,” known as the “Battle of the Oranges” to English speakers and the biggest food fight in Italy and surrounding countries.  

            My new friend went on to say, “The three-day festival is a re-enactment of either a 12th or a 13th century event—nobody seems to know for sure—in which a marquis or duke or person of a similar ilk, exercised his right of privilege and forced himself on a miller’s daughter on the eve of her wedding. The whole affair backfired on the tyrant when the young maiden got her hands on what had to have been a really sharp knife or some other chopping utensil and cut off his head. The legend holds that the townspeople then stormed the palace where the maiden was held captive and burned it to the ground. It signaled the end of such oppressive acts on the part of the ruling class and is thought of as a revolutionary turn for the common people.

“The re-enactment comprises thousands of townspeople divided into nine combat teams of aranceri on foot that throw the oranges. The oranges represent old weapons and stones, and as you can see, they are thrown at aranceri in carts that represent the tyrant’s ranks.”

While I couldn’t imagine landing a position on one of the teams, it seemed to me that an alert and a nimble bystander could swipe at least one loose orange and get in a lick. “You wouldn’t think so many oranges could be had here in the cool shadow of the Italian Alps,” I said to the stranger.

“Crateloads of them are shipped in from Sicily. It’s the leftovers from southern Italy’s winter crop. By the way, my name’s Whitey Ford,” and he held out a big and beefy hand. Mine was lost in the curl of its elongated fingers and cavernous palm.

“Whitey Ford?! Not the Whitey Ford, the greatest pitcher in the history of the New York Yankees?” I gasped.

“One and the same,” Whitey replied as he released my hand.



At that very second, an orange sailed through the air, levelled precisely at Whitey’s head. He stepped to the right, reached up that iconic left arm, and just as the orange was about to drop into his palm, I thrust my right hand up and grabbed it—I owned that orange! I had actually gotten one over on the legendary Whitey Ford. As fast as lightning, I pitched it like Whitey landing a strikeout across home plate. A missile nosed in on its target, my orange connected and splattered in an orange slurry on a draped head onboard one of the tyrant’s carts.

And wouldn’t you know it, I woke the next morning to a juicy navel orange at rest on the nightstand next to my bed. Had I carried it to my bedroom the night before intending to eat it, but then forgot it in my urgent need for sleep? Was it like the time I absentmindedly brushed my teeth with antibiotic cream, or when I said my former lover’s name instead of my husband’s at the exchange of our wedding vows? Or had the fairies really visited me while I slept and gifted me with the most perfect specimen of an orange? Such are the delightfully curious possibilities of a dreamer’s life.

Rather than peeling it and eating it in the same old way, I figured this special orange demanded special treatment. I padded to the kitchen, laid it on a cutting board and sliced the orange in half with a serrated knife. I then ran the knife around the inside perimeter of each half to separate the pulp from the peel and then each section from the membrane, like I always do to halves of a grapefruit. Next I dribbled 4 to 5 drops of vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of honey onto each half and then topped them with a generous sprinkle of cinnamon. I arranged the orange halves onto a cookie sheet sheathed in aluminum foil and placed them below the broiler of the oven for 3 – 5 minutes. Piping hot out of the oven, I had a hard time deciding on whether to top them with whipped cream, ice cream, or fruit. Fruit it was, and I topped the orange halves with a couple cubes of canned peaches.

            I could only eat half of my magical orange. I put the other half in a storage container and placed it in the fridge. It was my breakfast the following morning, reheated in the microwave at 30 second intervals until it was just right.©

 


***

 

#Italy, #RickSteves, #TravelBites, #PBS, #ItalianAlps, #CarnivalOfIvrea, #BattleOfTheOranges, #WhiteyFord, #Baseball, #NewYorkYankees, #OvenBakedOranges, #GardenOfTheSpiritsOfThePots, #LindaLeeGreene

 

***

 


Multi-award-winning artist and author Linda Lee Greene’s GARDEN OF THE SPIRITS OF THE POTS: A Spiritual Odyssey, is a novella in which ex-pat American Nicholas Plato relocates to Sydney, Australia to escape the mental torture of devastating losses back home. Strange encounters in Australia’s outback with an Indigenous potter reveal to Nicholas unexpected blessings and a new way of living. The novella is available in eBook and/or paperback. Just click the following link and it will take you straight to the page on Amazon on which you can purchase the book.

https://www.amazon.com/GARDEN-SPIRITS-POTS-SPIRITUAL-ODYSSEY-ebook/dp/B09JM7YL6F/   

No comments:

Post a Comment