Sunday, February 14, 2021

SHREDDED PAPER AND SOUP

 

From Linda Lee Greene, Author & Artist

 

Three weeks ago, I felt like I was sinking under the weighty ramifications of the coronavirus pandemic, as well as the chaos of the political climate in my country. Usually, I can check out of the problems of the world through writing, or painting. But my mind was blank. I paced the rooms of my little condo like a caged animal. I knew that if I didn’t find something quickly in which to lose myself for a while that I might go under and not come back up for a long time. I needed a distraction. And I believe it or not, I found it in paper…specifically in paper shredding. To date, my recycle bin overflows with plastic bags stuffed with shredded papers. I have also filled one of those large, black, plastic construction bags with my shredded papers. Pretty soon, I am going to have to break out yet another one or two of them to contain the rest of it, because there is more to come. I am on a roll, and have no intention of stopping now. I cannot tell you how satisfying it is to watch the mounting pile of shredded paper I am building, and how sweet it is to have actual bare spaces in my home formerly stuffed with useless papers.

            During timeouts, I concocted and percolated in my Crock Pot some nice soups. Following is the recipe for one of the tastiest of them. This soup is also food-friendly for those of us who are watching our waistlines by way of low-carb diets. ENJOY!



 CAULIFLOWER AND BELL PEPPER SOUP

(Or, substitute the cauliflower with cubed butternut squash)

 

1 head cauliflower sectioned into florets

2 generous handfuls cubed frozen or fresh red and yellow bell peppers (green bell peppers are too bitter for this dish)

32 oz organic, unsweetened coconut milk

24 oz low sodium vegetable broth

1 envelope onion soup and dip mix

1 handful shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1 tbsp vanilla extract or maple syrup

1 tbsp garlic powder or 1 minced fresh garlic floret

1 tsp onion powder or 1 chopped small fresh onion

1½ tsp Adobo spice or to taste

Sea salt and ground pepper mélange to taste

 

Place all ingredients in Crock Pot on high until cauliflower and bell peppers are tender. Halfway through, adjust spices according to taste.

 

Scoop soup into individual bowls and sprinkle shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top of each serving

 

Delicious with crackers or chunky bread (opt for Keto-friendly crackers and bread to stay true to a low-carb/gluten-free regimen)  

 


Multi-award-winning author, Linda Lee Greene’s CRADLE OF THE SERPENT, a finalist in the cross-genre category of the 2018 American Fiction Awards, is an in-depth examination of the marriage of archaeologists Lily and Jacob Light. One reviewer states: “5 Stars…Gritty, deep, emotionally packed relationship story to sink your teeth into. No fluffy boy meets girl tale, but so much more. Thrilling setting and backstory; suspense galore!”

 

#Cauliflower, #BellPeppers, #Soup, #Low-CarbDiets, #Coronavirus, #Pandemic, #Covid-19,

#ASMSG, #Romance, #Thriller, #Books, #Novels, #LindaLeeGreene, #Amazon

 

Purchase Link to CRADLE OF THE SERPENT: goo.gl/i3UkAV 

 

 

 

        

2 comments:

  1. Love shredding my old bills and receipts, Linda. It gets rid of the old energy to make way for the new! Cheers and thanks for the recipe, and happy shredding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your reference to shredding ridding us of old energy. It is an important aspect of the activity. Thanks so much for commenting, Sharon.

      Delete