Thursday, June 18, 2020

“AUNT JEMIMA” AND HER “EYE CANDY” SISTERS



By Linda Lee Greene, Author & Artist

There was a man named Hugh Hefner in my time. There were others, but he was the worst of his kind. He took photos of naked pretty women like me, and put them in a magazine called “Playboy” for men, or mostly men, everywhere to see.
I was fortunate. I actually avoided Hugh Hefner’s camera eye, but my sisters—hundreds, no thousands of them, I suppose, were not as lucky as me. They, and by extension, we were objectified, diminished, reduced to only one dimension. We were bare bodies in a centerfold, empty faces on a page. We were the symbol of something called, “eye candy,” on a man’s arm, and were assigned no other place.
“’Playboy’ and its ilk offended me then as it does now!” states my position on it mildly! And for many years, it also was a thick strand of the web of societal norms that were instrumental in barring pretty women from being taken seriously. In large part, we got beyond that hurdle, because we fought it. We demanded better. We demanded more. It was and is our right!
This was heavy on my mind last night as I crawled in bed. And then the picture changed to “Aunt Jemima” instead. I woke up this morning understanding my black sisters a little better, I think…FINALLY.©


Books by Linda Lee Greene are available for purchase on Amazon.com.

1 comment:

  1. Hello everyone, Are you into trading or just wish to give it a try, please becareful on the platform you choose to invest on and the manager you choose to manage your account because that’s where failure starts from be wise. After reading so much comment i had to give trading tips a try, I have to come to the conclusion that binary options pays massively but the masses has refused to show us the right way to earn That’s why I have to give trading tips the accolades because they have been so helpful to traders . For a free masterclass strategy kindly contact (paytondyian699@gmail.com) for a free masterclass strategy. He'll give you a free tutors on how you can earn and recover your losses in trading for free..

    ReplyDelete