Saturday, January 25, 2020

A VIEW TO HEALTH CARE




OK, I admit it! I’m guilty! I’m guilty of using the sweet Kitty in the photo merely as an attention grabber. She has nothing to do with the subject on my mind this morning—and the subject is health care.



We American’s have been taught to believe that paying top dollar for a product translates into receiving top quality. But in the case of America’s health care system, this tenet does not hold true. Compared to many other countries, we pay the most but receive much less, not only in quality, but also in quantity. A further problem is that far too many Americans simply cannot afford health care coverage of any kind, or are in a position of having to choose between basic necessities such as food or a medical procedure.



I faced such a situation recently. For the last two years, my co-pay for one of my prescriptions has been $42.00. $42.00 is too much to pay as it is, but when I had it refilled a couple of days ago, my co-pay had gone up to $78.60. That $36.40 difference represents the amount I have to budget to cover my Columbia Gas bill every month. I have not received a corresponding raise in my income. This situation put me in the position of having heat in my little condo or having a medication my body needs. Luckily, I asked my pharmacist if he knew anything about GoodRx, a prescription plan I have seen promoted on TV that promises lower prescription costs. My pharmacist whipped out his cellphone, keyed it into the GoodRx web site, and got me the prescription for $43.60 through GoodRx.



Suffice to say that I have more to say about America’s broken health care system, but this morning, my message is to urge you to look into GoodRx, and similar programs, that promise to ease some of the burden of our exorbitant drug costs. -Linda Lee Greene, Author & Artist, January 25, 2020

Linda Lee Greene's eBooks and paperbacks are available for purchase through Amazon.com     

No comments:

Post a Comment