Monday, September 9, 2019

BEATING A SLOW METABOLISM




To date, I’ve lost 18 pounds in my three-month quest to peel down to my former best weight. I’m losing at a snail’s pace, but that is because I'm hampered by issues with my health and work requirements that make it difficult for me to exercise in ways helpful to weight loss.

            My success is directly related to my eliminating bad carbohydrates found in grains from my diet: no white, wheat, Italian, French breads, or buns, or any baked goods, or cereals, or any of such things sold in our grocery stores. I also don’t consume oats and farina and cream of wheat. Instead, I bake delicious breads, muffins, crackers, pancakes, pizza, and more, and make creamy cereals with almond meal (and almond milk), which are rich in protein rather than in carbohydrates found in the aforementioned foodstuffs. I bake desserts with coconut flour, which is also rich in protein. I could live on bread and things made from grains; that is why I had to find substitutes to stick to any healthy meal plan. I still eat pasta and rice, but only rarely because they are laced with carbohydrates. Spaghetti squash is a great way to replace pasta, and cauliflower cooked down to rice-size is a nice substitute for rice.

            Processed foods are also a no-no. None of that packaged stuff! I was shocked to learn that apples, peaches, oranges, grapes and others, all of which have been regular items in my diet for my entire adult life, are high in carbs. I’ve replaced them with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries. Those berries are rich in ingredients beneficial to human health, and are very low in carbs. Potatoes and all potato products are also long gone for me. Healthier are sweet potatoes and yams, but only in moderation. Tomatoes, which are medium-high in carbs, still show up now and then on my plate. Vegetables are part of my daily meal plans, other than corn, peas, and some others pretty high in carbs. I regard corn syrup and gluten as veritable poisons. I read food labels obsessively because corn syrup and gluten are in so many products. I keep Google busy tracking down such culprits.

            If you are a coffee-drinker like me, I recommend that you don’t use powdered coffee creamer if you want to slim down. It is made from grains (carbs). I’ve replaced it with half and half, or cream, or unsweetened and unflavored almond milk creamer. I also eat lots of cheese, olive oil, and Olivio spread, which is made from olive oil and is a fabulous substitute for margarine or butter, although butter is okay, as are most fats in this diet. I have learned that carbs are the culprit rather than fats for me and lots of other people. Fats haven’t increased my cholesterol level. My cholesterol has actually gone down with this diet: 50 points in three months.

            I know that soda pop and packaged juices, which are full of sugar, will keep the inches on my body, and destroy my health. Sugar is evil, evil, evil! Research studies have shown that sugar is a cancer-causer and a cancer-booster. Cancer cells live off sugar molecules. That means that cancer cells stay alive in large part because their host (victims and potential victims of cancer) are consuming sugar and sugar products. I don’t eat candy of any kind. I’ve replaced sugar with Stevia, which is a natural product made from the stevia plant. It has a mild flavor that doesn’t leave that awful aftertaste like artificial sugar substitutes do. I use honey in moderation. Frozen Yogurt ice cream rather cow’s milk ice cream is my choice when I can find it, or I make a dessert with Yogurt, cream, an egg (optional), stevia or honey, vanilla extract, and berries whipped up and frozen. I am a meat- and fish-eater, so I enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! Another key is drinking lots of water, which not only boosts better health but also helps me (and most everyone) to lose weight faster. I definitely need to increase my water consumption! Often when we feel hungry, we are actually thirsty. So I recommend reaching for a glass of water rather than those crackers, or potato chips, or God help us, a candy bar.

An easy formula is to eat whole, real, fresh, and colorful food—50% to 75% vegetables, and to consume protein at every meal. Because I have a thyroid condition, I avoid soy products. Otherwise, I’ve read that they are okay.           



Image: Cauliflower Risotto



Recipe: Grate a head of cauliflower using food processor. Place in a pot, cover with water, and bring to boil, cook 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Heat 3 tablespoons of butter or Olivio in a large pan, add 1 medium chopped onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, and a cup of vegetables. (Green beans are shown in this image, but I would use canned carrots or olives or canned diced tomatoes or capers.) Cook for 6 to 8 minutes. Add ½ cup water, ¼ cup tomato paste, and spices of your preference, and a pinch of salt. Curry powder, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and honey are popular ingredients with this recipe to give it additional kick. I avoid those spices because of my digestive issues. Turn heat to low and add cauliflower and mix thoroughly. This is a swell side dish with meat or salad rather than rice or potatoes.



PS Cauliflower already grated, nicely packaged, and ready to use is available in major grocery stores. – Linda Lee Greene, Author & Artist©    

1 comment:

  1. It's never too late to start eating healthy. It seems you are on a good path to reach your goal weight.

    ReplyDelete