Sunday, April 14, 2019

MY MOVIE-SCHOOL-YEAR by LINDA LEE GREENE©


MY ‘MOVIE-SCHOOL-YEAR’ by LINDA LEE GREENE©



I was in my final year at Everett Junior High School in Columbus, Ohio, USA when Elvis Presley’s film ‘Jailhouse Rock’ exploded in movie theaters across the nation. That year, the school was undergoing renovation, and class schedules were allocated to accommodate the work. Half of the student body attended morning classes with afternoons off, and the other half attended afternoon classes with mornings off. I was a morning student, lucky me; lucky because at the noon hour of nearly every school day, I caught a city bus into town center, and handing over my quarter to the person in the ticket booth, strolled into the dark womb of a theater and lost myself in a movie.

            Columbus is fortunate to have two iconic theaters as centerpieces of its downtown core: the incomparable ‘Ohio Theater’ and the exceptional ‘Palace Theater.’ I was present at a concert a few years ago starring Tony Bennett. It was held at the ‘Palace,’ and he stated to the audience that it had the best acoustics of almost any venue in which he had ever appeared. He lowered his microphone and sang acapella to demonstrate the theater’s superior sound quality. His voice, unequalled by any but Andrea Bocelli’s, in my opinion, rang through the theater as clear as a bell.

Back in my favorite year of school, my ‘movie-school-year,’ as I think of it, I spent my afternoons in one or the other of Columbus’ two wonderful downtown theaters, for the most part. I was, by that time, a diehard movie buff, a veteran, to my way of thinking, catching as many movies as possible on our black and white, console television-set in the living room of our home, or watching double-feature movies with school friends at the neighborhood ‘Garden Theater,’ located at the corner of High Street and West Fifth Avenue, just a stone’s throw from the school. Year after year, my little sister, Sherri and I stayed up long past our bedtime to watch the Academy Awards, and we could tell you from memory the winners of the Best Actor and Best Actress categories of every year of the 50s, 60s, and 70s, and maybe into the 80s.

Those afternoons in the downtown theaters all alone and enthralled by the stories that in my innocence I dared to imagine would mirror of my own someday, were my best film experiences, however. I saw on the big screen Cary Grant and Debra Kerr in perhaps the greatest movie romance of all time, ‘An Affair to Remember. ‘The Bridge on the River Kwai,’ ‘Funny Face,’ and Marilyn Monroe’s troubled performance in ‘The Prince and the Showgirl’ were among the films I saw that year. Our curiosity was aroused by the rumor that Monroe’s erratic behavior had aged her co-star and director, Lawrence Olivier by 15 years. Despite it all, Monroe was then and is to this day, one of my favorites. Lana Turner’s ‘Peyton Place’ was on tap that year, too. The list goes on and on. But Elvis Presley in ‘Jailhouse Rock’ was the most memorable of all. Teenagers in American and beyond were his slaves, our bondage having begun with his historical first appearance on the ‘Ed Sullivan Show’ on TV the year before, and in the two movies he had made before ‘Jailhouse.’ Every teenager in America with access to a TV had experienced Elvis on Ed Sullivan, our eyes glued to the screen, our hearts pounding with every gyration of his famous hips and flip of the shiny, black shock of hair that suspended over his matchless brow. Was there a handsomer, sexier, and more talented human being ever to grace our lives?

A group of us girls piled onto the city bus the afternoon we were going to take in Elvis’ on the giant, silver screen, each of us wearing our best frocks, and having paid special attention to our hairdos and makeup. And yes, when that unparalleled, that ‘dangerous’ beauty of a man appeared on screen in his black and white striped, prison garb, we jumped from our seats and raced en masse to the front of the theater. And throughout the entire production, we jumped up and down; we screamed ourselves silly; we pulled our hair; we burst into rivers of tears, and one or two of the girls actually swooned, comatose to the floor. Oh happy days!  






Multi-award winning author Linda Lee Greene’s books are available worldwide in soft cover and eBook formats on Amazon and other online booksellers.

No comments:

Post a Comment