Wednesday, July 20, 2022

MAGICAL HANDS

 

MAGICAL HANDS

 From Linda Lee Greene, Author/Artist

 Kay, my lovely physical therapist, received me most graciously on my first appointment, and then she led me to a private consultation room. One of those perpetually youthful, mature women, she also appeared as fragile as a feather, better suited to ballet than physical therapy. But appearances can be deceiving, as I was soon to find out. Following the question and answer session, she instructed me to lie down on her little couch, and then she went to work scrutinizing my body. It was then that I got the strong feeling that Kay is living her calling. Her immense strength and wisdom is in her hands. Her hands tell her things about her patients that go unrecognized by some medical professionals. For instance, mere moments into her exploration of my body, she said to me, “You are very strong, Linda. Did you grow up on a farm?”

            “No,” I replied. And then I thought to myself, “Does she feel my history, my ancestry in my body?” I recalled then Carl Jung’s theory of the collective consciousness, which suggests that our experiences/knowledge/wisdom are inherited. Scientific experiments have revealed this phenomenon to be possible, and that the information is stored in the form of nucleic acid codes within cells. There is speculation (some call it evidence) that certain sensitive-types can tap into this pool of material, person to person. Maybe Kay is one of those sensitive-types.         

            Of course, while I technically did not grow up on a farm, I was born on my maternal grandparent’s farm, spent the first two years of my life there and was a frequent visitor during the rest of my childhood and into my adolescence and far beyond. While I have always been aware that I carry my farmer ancestors in my heart and mind, I didn’t understand until Kay’s inquiry the extent to which I also carry them in my body—how they are etched in me, blood, muscle, sinew, and bone. Further into the hands-on examination, Kay found and then probed certain hot spots on my body and proclaimed, “Ouch, that hurts!” Here I was trying to be all stoic and brave, and she voiced my pain. You have to appreciate a person like that.

This set my mind awhirl about Kay’s story, as well. Maybe I’m reading too much into her, but I’m wondering if she is a bonafide medical intuitive, like Caroline Myss. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Kay sees into my soul and knows how unmindful I am of my body most of the time. I bet she sees so clearly the love affair I have with my brain with its sparks of spirit that set it on fire so often. My brain keeps me company. It comforts me. It talks to me like a best friend, whereas my body delights in jabbing me at every turn with aches and pains and has been relentless in that pursuit since I was sixteen. No wonder I turn away from it whenever possible and romance my brain.

However (there is always a however), it has come to pass that for my own good, this love/hate affair cannot go on any longer. For inspiration, I tune my ear to Buddhist psychological teachings—voices that instruct me about a spiritual view of the body. They say the body “is the soil in which understanding grows.” Zen teacher, Norman Fischer in his SAILING HOME, attests further that “the body calms and grounds the mind and heart, and a stable mind and heart produce wisdom and happiness”

The Zen route to this grounding of the body is through sitting meditation, a process in which all else falls away but the body/present. There is no running away from this body/present, which Zen pronounces as one’s true self. There is no escape into the nostalgia of the past or flights of fancy into an impossible-to-know-future, for the reason that the body, which is the container of the mind and heart, exists exclusively in the here and now.

By way of Kay’s instructions in therapeutic exercises and meditation on the here and now, I have high hopes of easing into a healthier relationship with my body with its own brand of magical hands that are at the ready in the formidable gene pool of my ancestors.©

 

***

Every Thursday morning through hot June and July, I have and will continue to trudge along to my physical therapy session. It is hard work and afterwards, I have been tempted to reward myself with a stop at Dairy Queen for a hot fudge sundae. However, I have come up with a better, healthier treat in the form of a refreshingly simple, cold soup sitting elegantly on a shelf in my refrigerator. It has been referred to as a smoothie masquerading as a soup. I like to think of as a soup topped off with sweet toppings such as sugar-free whipped cream, sugar-free vanilla custard, low-fat vanilla yogurt and the like. I often swirl in a scoop of Slimfast’s Rich Chocolate Royale Powder.  

 


The recipe for 6 servings of COLD STRAWBERRY AND YOGURT SOUP:

. 1 pound fresh strawberries or 3 packages (10 oz. size) of thawed frozen strawberries in syrup

. 1-1/4 cups vanilla yogurt, divided

. 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar or equivalent amount of stevia sweetener

. 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate

. 1/8 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract, or 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

In a food processor, combine the strawberries, 1 cup yogurt, confectioners' sugar or stevia, orange juice concentrate and extract; cover and process until blended. Garnish each serving with a dollop of remaining yogurt or other toppings.

***



Multi-award-winning author Linda Lee Greene’s GUARDIANS AND OTHER ANGELS, which is a blend of historical fiction and memoir of her ancestors, receives rave reviews:

5 stars Wonderfully Written!

“This was a thoroughly enjoyable book. I loved the Americana. [It] reached out and touched my heart, mind and soul. [It] provided tremendous insight into what many American families endured during the first half of the 20th century. It captures you and draws you in. This is most certainly a five-star novel.”

GUARDIANS AND OTHER ANGELS is available in eBook and/or paperback. Just click the following link/URL and it will take you straight to the page on Amazon on which you can purchase it.

Purchase link: http://goo.gl/imUwKO

#PhysicalTherapy, #CarlJung, #CollectiveConsciousness, #ZenBuddhism, #MedicalIntuitive, #CarolineMyss, #Americana, #20thCentury, #DairyQueen #Slimfast, #ColdSoup, #GuardiansandOtherAngels, #LindaLeeGreene

No comments:

Post a Comment