Wednesday, December 30, 2020

OH JOY, CHRISTMAS MORNING!

 

From Linda Lee Greene, Author & Artist

 

In keeping with best Covid-19 practices in the United States, I was alone on Christmas morning; masked-up and socially distanced, my children arrived later in the day for our hurried gift exchange. As it turned out, though, I was not entirely alone before then—Muse stopped by and presented me with a most amazing gift. She slipped into my brain an idea for a new novel. With this one, I fear I will attempt the impossible, but there I have to go because a writer must follow Muse’ lead. It will require loads and loads of research and reading, and for that reason, I cannot possibly anticipate a publication date for another year or more. Between then and now, I have other finished manuscripts in the hopper that are chomping at the bit to see the light of day, one of them to be published next month. In the meantime, Muse tells me that the title of my new story on which I am currently hard at work is THE BRONTË SISTERS AND YOUNG BOY GREEN, An Alternative History. Below is a little teaser for you:

                                                                                   


 

~Introduction~

 

I was confined to London during my one trip to England two decades ago, a trip I was forced to cut short because of a flare-up of a chronic illness, as well as to attend a funeral back home of a beloved family member. Side trips to Cornwall and northern parts of England were unfulfilled as a consequence. I was left having learned nothing of value in the later tracing of my ancestry. Of particular interest in my origin story is Thornton, West Yorkshire, England, best known as the home of the Brontë sisters. As it happens, it was also the place from which 17 year old, Stephen Green, my paternal grandfather five times removed sailed to the United States in either 1776 or 1777. Whether or not he was a citizen of Thornton is a mystery to us. Thornton might very well have been merely his point of embarkation.

As far as my family and I know, the whole of Stephen’s American history unfolded in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and for that reason it is safe to suppose that his ship landed at one of the Chesapeake Bay ports, and in the thick of America’s struggle for independence. That he was caught up in the turmoil is probable.

            You might have taken note of the variance in the spelling of our surname. For a reason unknown to anyone else, my grandfather and one of his brothers conspired to add the extra e at the end of the name. My siblings and I have ruminated on the motivation for the change, and none of them are laudable. Was it done to outsmart debt- or tax-collectors, or to align somehow with their religious beliefs? As of this date, the justification for the third e remains in the realm of speculation.  

While it is likely that Stephen’s American story was one of danger, intrigue, struggle, and triumphs, all of them advantageous elements around which to build a story, I find it much more intriguing to imagine his early life in England. I credit my interest to my love of all things British. I am an incurable Anglophile. There is no doubt that the British in my DNA fuels the engine that is the essential “I.” If the BBC ever stopped transmitting to the United States, I would have little use of a television set, and the shelves of my home library would be practically bare.

In reality, the lifetimes of Stephen and the Brontë sisters did not coincide. Stephen predated them by more than a half century. However, for the purposes of THE BRONTË SISTERS AND YOUNG BOY GREEN, I portray them as compatriots. My story will no doubt be judged as a sacrilege to Brontë sisters purists. I hope so very much that it passes a test of acceptability to those readers at least in some way good enough to make up for my blasphemy. And by the way, Happy New Year.©

–Linda Lee Greene, Columbus, Ohio, USA, Christmas Day, 2020

 

Books by Linda Lee Greene are available for purchase at Amazon.com.

 

#Covid-19, #Christmas, #LondonEngland, #Cornwall, #ThorntonWestYorkshire, #BrontëSisters, #CharlotteBrontë, #EmilyBrontë, #AnneBrontë, #VictorianEngland, #CommonwealthofVirginia, #ChesapeakeBay, #AmericanRevolution, #TheBrontëSistersandYoungBoyGreen, #StephenGreen, #LindaLeeGreene

5 comments:

  1. A very enjoyable blog and your idea for a new book sounds fascinating too.Perhaps one day you will get to visit the Brontë parsonage and the moors around it.I went there years ago on a school trip. A very special place of pilgrimage for writers. Happy New Year, Linda !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a trip would be a dream come true. Thank you, Carol.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's a great idea for your new book, Linda! My English roots run deeps, as do my Canadian ones. Wishing you a very Happy New Year, and all the best in your publishing ventures! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete