Monday, November 25, 2019

HIGH HOLIDAYS 2019 – A SAVORY SOUP RECIPE TO ENTICE THE APPETITE










Winter, and especially the high-holiday season that is winter’s centerpiece, brings with it for me an air of nostalgia, a wistfulness for the Thanksgiving Days of old, the days when at the end of a long country lane, the white square farmhouse of my maternal grandparents came into view, and within its walls my large family would soon gather around an immense table groaning with a homegrown Thanksgiving meal. With the elapsing of time, the torch has passed to my aunts and uncles, and then to the members of my generation. The work of keeping the traditions of our family alive and well continues to be handed down. This Thanksgiving my immediate family will gather at the home of my daughter, Elizabeth, the person who often as not, has hosted our celebration for several years. I am so grateful for the young people of my family, and for the time and space to hunker into the winter of my life, to gather my provisions, as well as to relax into my unbound hours and make the most of them.

            Turkey and dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, cranberries, and several side dishes of vegetables, sweetened at meal’s end with pumpkin pie and whipped cream, and a wide selection of additional heavenly desserts was our traditional fare. This year, we plan to broaden our menu with some new dishes. My contribution will be a lovely ‘Farmhouse Cheese Soup’ laid at table as an appetizer. The recipe comes from Stacey Pirtle of ‘Southern Discourse,’ where it is described as “…oogey, gooey, goodness…a zesty comfort food even the pickiest eaters will enjoy.”

           



INSTRUCTIONS: On medium-low heat, melt 1 stick (½ cup) of butter in a large stockpot or automatic cooker. Add 1/3 cup each of diced onions, carrots, celery, and 1 teaspoon of minced garlic. Cook until vegetables are translucent. Add 32 oz. chicken broth (I prefer the low-sodium brands) and ½ cup of diced roasted red peppers. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Pour in 1 cup of Chardonnay (can be omitted) and let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Add 6 cups (1 cup at a time) of grated sharp cheddar cheese, stirring after each cup until the cheese is completely melted. Continue to add the cheese until the mixture is melted and combined. Add 6 cups of half-and-half a little at a time, stirring continuously. Add 2 teaspoons of paprika, 1½ teaspoons of chopped fresh thyme, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of white pepper. Cook on very low heat for another 5 to 10 minutes, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle bacon bits on top of each savory bowl. Shredded chicken added to the recipe is a nice add-in. Enjoy! -Linda Lee Greene



Multi-award-winning Ohio author and artist, Linda Lee Greene’s books are available in eBook and paperback on Amazon. A CHANCE AT THE MOON, her latest novel, is ahttps://www.amazon.com/CHANCE-AT-MOON-Betrayal-Murder/dp/169984402X/

9 comments:

  1. A lovely soup Linda and will of course share in the blogger daily.. have emailed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again Sally. I am so sorry for the delay in replying. And thank you for sharing on blogger daily. I did not receive your email. Perhaps if you try again at lindaleegreene.author.artist@gmail.com, it might come through. I look forward to connecting with you via email.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so very much. Have a fabulous holiday, Sally Cronin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipes sounds lovely. I hope you have a wonderful day, today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much. Sending my best wishes to you for a beautiful holiday. I really appreciate your taking time to leave a comment.

      Delete
  4. A beautiful sounding recipe.. Thank you for sharing all my favourite flavours ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to read your nice comment. Thank you so so much.

    ReplyDelete