Friday, October 4, 2019

THE PRIME MINISTER GETS AN EARFUL FROM A YOUNG CANADIAN



By Linda Lee Greene, Author & Artist.



The Citadelle, Quebec, Canada, August 23, 1943 – Over our afternoon tea break, the prime minister was noticeably reflective. I had grown accustomed to the great man’s assorted dispositions. However, his mood today was solemn in a way I had not witnessed in him. Mrs. Churchill had retired to her room, leaving him and me alone at table. The idea flitted across my mind that perhaps Mr. Churchill’s somber tone reflected a concern over his wife’s health. He patted his mouth with his napkin and studied my face as if weighing whether or not to trust me with conversation I felt sure was about to commence, and one that would have to do with matters outside the Second World War business in which both he and I were involved. I was assigned to him as an Attaché from the Canadian government during his war-planning conference with Mr. Roosevelt, President of the United States. It goes without saying that I was flattered that the prime minister had invited me to join him for tea, although it was well-known that he made a practice of doing such as this for the purpose of gaining the perspective of the young people who worked for him. I think he also enjoyed the openness of individuals decades younger than himself.   

Moisture rimmed his eyes. I was horrified that tears would spill down his cheeks, but he got hold of himself and raised his napkin to his face and wiped it. “My Clemmie and I are putting every good effort into distracting our minds from the death of our little daughter, Marigold twenty-two years ago today,” he said. I hadn’t the faintest idea that he and his wife had endured such tragedy. I was at the same time amazed at the personal character of his statement and hadn’t a clue as to how to respond. But then I realized there was no appropriate reply, and I sat back quietly against my chair. I understood then Mrs. Churchill’s low spirit. I was surprised when Mr. Churchill spoke about Marigold further. “Our little ‘Duckadilly’s greatest delight was in serenading us in song in her sweet, true voice: ‘I’m forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air…’” In a falsetto voice, he trilled the words of the song and twirled his hand in the air in accompaniment. His hand dropping to his lap, he continued, “Even as she lay dying, she asked Clementine to sing it to her. I wrote to Clemmie in a note at the time, ‘…It is a gaping wound – whenever one touches it and removes the bandages and plasters of daily life.’ The wound wounds evermore!”

His splendid head lowered and his hand rose to his heart. And then he looked around the room as if in search of an answer to life’s cruelties. He turned his face to me again and said, “This has been a year of difficulties for our family, not the least the illnesses that struck down both my wife and me. You are no doubt unaware that I was sent to bed for several days in late February for ‘convalescence.’ I suffered a roaring fever and sore throat, diagnosed finally as pneumonia. It kept me less of my normal self for many weeks. Overcome with concern for me, and exhaustion from these many years of the conflagration that holds the blade at our throats, as well as her demanding duties, Clemmie developed a painful affliction. It required her to endure seemingly endless treatments. She too was ordered to rest and managed to organize a nice seaside retreat for several days. She rallied and we were comforted with the assurance that she would be hale and hearty for this trip. But alas, she has suffered wearying sleeplessness throughout our voyage to Canada. Am I so selfish to wish her near me on these long journeys to foreign lands while I conduct the business of the war?”

I was startled by his inquiry, and of course, confounded by it. Did he expect me to respond? But then, I realized that in reality he was talking to himself, and that his question was a rhetorical one. I hesitated in the response I wished to interject in our exchange and nearly kept my council. But then I felt I would be doing him a disservice. After all, he had confided in me and perhaps hoped I would offer some contrast that might help him through his darkness. “Sir, mightn’t we allow our spirits to be rallied by the excellent progress of the Mediterranean Campaign of the war,” I suggested to him. “Mussolini has been removed from power and a new government set up in Italy. It began negotiating for peace with us immediately. The news that the Sicilian campaign came to an end just nine days ago with U.S. General Patton’s aggressive push into Messina puts the whole of Sicily under Allied control.” 

His brow relaxed and he sat back in his chair for a moment. And then he moved forward, reached into his cigar box on the table and commenced the fascinating ritual of lighting a cigar. He said in response to me, “It had been decided that Britain’s General Montgomery and his Eighth Army would take the lead in the siege of Messina, but his army was bogged down by German forces at Catania. He had no other choice than to send a message to Patton to go ahead with the offensive. A few days later, Patton and Montgomery met there and posed for photographs, staged for the good of the Allied cause. Montgomery looked none too happy in them. He had courted High Command for the job of taking Messina, and had won the assignment, much to the chagrin of Patton and his comrades. What a great disappointment it was to Montgomery to lose to Patton the honor of taking Messina.”

The prime minister’s summary was not new to me. These events were discussed and celebrated at the conference. He went on to say, “That seaside city will be our launching point for our invasion of the toe of Italy. I fear we lost needless time in the back and forth over Montgomery vs Patton in the Messina situation. Montgomery and his Eighth Army will lead the charge across the Straits of Messina and onto Italy’s shore, a decision of which Patton is unaware.” The prime minister took a deep draw on his cigar and then knitted his brow. “Eisenhower is conflicted over Patton, as are all of us. Nobody does his job better than Patton. In fact, he is the Anglo-American Allies best general, but he is a disciplinary thorn in our sides. Two recent incidents in which he slapped hospitalized soldiers suffering from nervous exhaustion whom he accused of cowardice have created a firestorm of protest against him. ‘I can’t help it, but it makes my blood boil to think of a yellow bastard being babied,’ Patton said in defense of his actions. Surely Eisenhower will sideline him.”

I felt emboldened by the prime minister’s willing acceptance of the shift in our conversation and pressed a point that exercised me. “Sir, with all due respect, has High Command considered that our success in the Allied North Africa campaign was due in perhaps the greatest part to General Patton’s stepping in and taking the situation in hand? Likewise, in my view, it is difficult to deny that our victory over Sicily must be credited mainly to General Patton. Montgomery has served the war effort well, but he is also not the picture of congeniality. This competition between the British and the Americans gives me pause. Does it truly matter who wins the bragging rights for gaining victory on any battlefield of the war?” The prime minister rose to his feet, heavily. I saw without question that I had trod on sacred ground. Nobody dares to argue against the supremacy of the British Empire upon which the sun never sets. Our tea was over! I pushed out of my chair, saluted him, made my way to the door of the room, and said under my breath, “If you didn’t want to hear the truth, you shouldn’t have invited a young Canadian to your table.”©

   

Note: The above is a work of historical fiction conjured by its author from Mr. Churchill’s actual journey to Quebec, Canada in August, 1943.



Image: Winston S. Churchill with his daughter, Mary, Quebec, Canada, August, 1943



Recommended reading: CLEMENTINE CHURCHILL, the Biography of a Marriage by Mary [Churchill] Soames.

A DAUGHTER’S TALE by Mary [Churchill] Soames.



Books by Linda Lee Greene are available for purchase in eBook and soft cover on Amazon.com and by request at other booksellers.

No comments:

Post a Comment